Could Someone Give me Advice on Tactical Setup for High-Pressing; Possession Based Play in FM24?

by oliviajackson55, May 30, 2024

Hello there,

As I am looking for some guidance on fine-tuning my tactical setup in FM24. I am managing a mid-tier team in the Premier League; and my goal is to implement a high-pressing; possession-based style of play similar to Pep Guardiola's Manchester City or Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool.

Despite having a strong squad with decent technical and physical attributes; I am struggling to maintain consistency; especially against top-tier teams. I often dominate possession but fail to convert it into clear cut chances. Additionally; I sometimes get caught out on the counter-attack.

How can I increase the number of quality chances created?

What are some key attributes I should focus on for players in this system?

Are there any specific roles or instructions that might better suit my desired style?

Also, I have gone through this post: https://fm-arena.com/thread/8897-is-there-any-successfull-possession-mlops-style-tactic/ which definitely helped me out a lot.

Any tips on defensive solidity while maintaining a high press?

Thanks in advance for your help and assistance.

In real life and in-game, "high-pressing; possession-based" those two are not really related.

Have you posted your tactic anywhere?

if both of these things are happening:

"I often dominate possession but fail to convert it into clear cut chances. Additionally; I sometimes get caught out on the counter-attack."

then your tactic doesn't sound very balanced.

Also note that ability of your squad is relative to the league you are in, so if "I am managing a mid-tier team in the Premier League" then you simply might not have the kind of players good enough to play the system you want to play.

In a mid table prem team I would be trying to do one thing really well, and not both (possession and pressing).

Depending on recruitment and team I would be trying to set up a counter attacking team who can break on the transition with pacy wingers and forwards.

You really need elite back 4 and midfielders to be able to play other styles very well in the prem.

Create an account or log in to leave a comment