Mentality and managing matches

by Mark, Jun 6, 2024

Back in FM19 I came across an approach to managing matches. I have used it ever since with loads of success.

Here is the article

And here is the rather complex flow chart for those interested.

Here is the simplified match mentality progression line for those not interested in the complexity of the flow chart. Although this misses a lot of important decisions, it does give a bit of a road map for playing the match.

I am currently playing with the two main plug and play tactics, 424 Problem Solver and 4231 One Shot. So I wondered how the CTRL and SUS versions of these would test in FM24. I will now go about testing these and maybe a slightly more attacking one of each when you are chasing goals.

Here is a summary of the changes I am looking at for each tactic for testing.

I doubt these versions of the tactic will challenge the original for points, but hoping they can be competitive and provide the results we are after, CTRL maybe a few points behind and more solid in defence, SUS limiting scoring from opponents and ATT slightly better goals for and probably weaker in defence. Time will tell.

Hopefully this helps someone.

I used to use this chart (on fm 19, 20, 21 and 22) but didn't see any significant difference in my scores. Just sense of having more control during a match.

Started doing this by implementing the changes @infxamus mentions in his thread about conserving the lead. It works.

once again - thank you for your work, Mark

Mark said: Back in FM19 I came across an approach to managing matches. I have used it ever since with loads of success.

Here is the article

And here is the rather complex flow chart for those interested.

Here is the simplified match mentality progression line for those not interested in the complexity of the flow chart. Although this misses a lot of important decisions, it does give a bit of a road map for playing the match.

I am currently playing with the two main plug and play tactics, 424 Problem Solver and 4231 One Shot. So I wondered how the CTRL and SUS versions of these would test in FM24. I will now go about testing these and maybe a slightly more attacking one of each when you are chasing goals.

Here is a summary of the changes I am looking at for each tactic for testing.

I doubt these versions of the tactic will challenge the original for points, but hoping they can be competitive and provide the results we are after, CTRL maybe a few points behind and more solid in defence, SUS limiting scoring from opponents and ATT slightly better goals for and probably weaker in defence. Time will tell.

Hopefully this helps someone.

Hi, I'm also trying to understand how to manage the advantage in the second half of the game, I hate conceding a goal in the 90th minute on a counterattack when we are winning 1-0.

I tried to set "waste time", "low pace", lower the defensive line, but I'm afraid of how the FM engine works, it could be instructions that don't work and make me lose the game.

Any news from the tests?

Thank you!

Stuaret said: Hi, I'm also trying to understand how to manage the advantage in the second half of the game, I hate conceding a goal in the 90th minute on a counterattack when we are winning 1-0.

I tried to set "waste time", "low pace", lower the defensive line, but I'm afraid of how the FM engine works, it could be instructions that don't work and make me lose the game.

Any news from the tests?

Thank you!

I have tried match plans and it ended with players I wanted on the pitch being substituted in the first half. My testing of the options in the original post were terrible so I have given up on that.

I have settled on using the following:

First 15 minutes
Drop Tempo and Trigger Press by 1 notch
Defensive Shape back to Mid Block

At 75 minutes

At 85 minutes if winning
Drop Tempo and Trigger Press by another notch
Remove Prevent Short GK Distribution
Stay on Feet
Remove Counter-Press and Counter
Remove Distribute Quickly
Remove Pass Into Space and Run at Defence
Mentality to Cautious

These are the exceptions:

If they Score use the following for the next 10 minutes:
Attacking Mentality
Be More Expansive

If we Score use the following for the next 10 minutes:
Cautious Mentality

This is a much simpler approach than the one in the opening post and all seems to be working. Should also include Praise whole team when we score but only after the first 15 minutes.

Hope this helps

Mark said: I have tried match plans and it ended with players I wanted on the pitch being substituted in the first half. My testing of the options in the original post were terrible so I have given up on that.

First 15 minutes

At 75 minutes

At 85 minutes if winning
Stay on Feet
Mentality to Cautious

Attacking Mentality
Be More Expansive

Cautious Mentality

This is a much simpler approach than the one in the opening post and all seems to be working. Should also include Praise whole team when we score but only after the first 15 minutes.

Hope this helps

Thank you!
It would be interesting to test the current top tactic (Problem Solvin V24) with these instructions for 9600 matches and see if the score improves. Especially with the instructions in the last minutes of the game, when there is a risk of throwing away the victory.

Mark said: I have tried match plans and it ended with players I wanted on the pitch being substituted in the first half. My testing of the options in the original post were terrible so I have given up on that.

First 15 minutes

At 75 minutes

At 85 minutes if winning
Stay on Feet
Mentality to Cautious

Attacking Mentality
Be More Expansive

Cautious Mentality

Hope this helps

This is very good suggestion, thanks. If at 75 minute we are loosing or draw with weaker team we still should apply Drop Tempo and Trigger Press by 1 notch and Defensive Shape back to Mid Block? Or maybe different instructions?

Ravnica said: This is very good suggestion, thanks. If at 75 minute we are loosing or draw with weaker team we still should apply Drop Tempo and Trigger Press by 1 notch and Defensive Shape back to Mid Block? Or maybe different instructions?

If you want to chase a goal go to Attacking and be more expressive

Mark said: If you want to chase a goal go to Attacking and be more expressive

Thanks for the answer. By the way are you still suggest also to drop to midblock as default instruction when playing against stronger teams?

Create an account or log in to leave a comment