Training and Resting

by ZaZ, Sep 26, 2024

It is hard to talk about best training schedule because training has multiple objectives. Usually, players aim to increase attributes, keep players fit, and avoid injuries, but there might be other goals. Below are pictures of what training schedules I use to maximize those three objectives (it shows for both one and two matches a week).

Explanation:
- Two Match Practice sessions per week because they are the most efficient.
- Full day of rest after matches, paired with "No pitch or gym work" for super rest (it has increased effect). Keep in mind that super rest only works with a complete day of Rest sessions, and sending the players to rest at home.
- As many Physical sessions as possible, because Pace and Acceleration are the most effective attributes. Quickness has similar results.
- Attacking and Defending sessions are the most efficient to train non-physical attributes, and they are used to complete the days without reaching red intensity.
- I also set additional focus of all players to Quickness and GK Reflexes.

I hope that helps anyone, and let me know what you think if you start using this schedule.

ZaZ.fmf
Downloaded : 380 times
Uploaded : Sep 26, 2024

Quick question, does travel work the same as rest? What I mean is the day after an away match one of those rest slots will be filled with travel. Do players still get a super rest?

Yarema said: Quick question, does travel work the same as rest? What I mean is the day after an away match one of those rest slots will be filled with travel. Do players still get a super rest?

Unfortunately, travel gets in the way of super rest. In that case, it might be wiser to set rest for the next day after travel.

I use a similar schedule. I don't have as many physical, which is probably a mistake and don't use match practice and physical on the same day. It's basically physical, defence and attack every day with two march practices a week and 3x rest the day after a game. It's your schedule from 22 or 23 with the rest that yourself and max came up with.

I also only play on Wednesday and Saturday so I can set training at the start of every season, change it once the European draw is done and then for extra games in cups and Europe. Also stops my assistant ruining my training every week. As you can't stop them doing that

keithb said: I use a similar schedule. I don't have as many physical, which is probably a mistake and don't use match practice and physical on the same day. It's basically physical, defence and attack every day with two march practices a week and 3x rest the day after a game. It's your schedule from 22 or 23 with the rest that yourself and max came up with.

I also only play on Wednesday and Saturday so I can set training at the start of every season, change it once the European draw is done and then for extra games in cups and Europe. Also stops my assistant ruining my training every week. As you can't stop them doing that

That one is also good, it is just that I am risking a bit more injuries for a bit more of growth. Problems with multiple objectives also have multiple optimal solutions. But make sure to add super rest after matches, that will help a lot keeping players fit during the season, and reduce injuries in training.

Hi, Zaz! Started using your schedule with super rest, but my injuries went up about 3 times, making me the worst in the league. The growth is good though, how's it been for you in the long term?

Turbulents said: Hi, Zaz! Started using your schedule with super rest, but my injuries went up about 3 times, making me the worst in the league. The growth is good though, how's it been for you in the long term?

Unfortunately, attribute growth and minimizing injuries are two conflicting goals from training, and I prefer to manage injuries with a broader squad to be able to reap rewards of better growth. I often rely on a squad of ~30 players, and that allows my players to have higher performance than they would if I used a weaker training with a smaller squad.

In short, we are talking about 1 or 2 extra pace and acceleration per season for the entire team, which is massive as you can see in the attribute table. Not only that, but growing players faster also allow you to profit more with transfers, which can lead to stronger squads (or in the very least, money to sustain two or three extra players to cover for the injuries). The third benefit of having faster growth is to allow you to rotate more the squad without losing much quality, which helps reducing injuries.

If you feel like you cannot handle the injuries, you can change the schedule to have at most one Physical or Match Practice sessions a day, and substitute anything over that for Attacking and Defending sessions. That would reduce intensity and cut at least half of the injuries, at the cost of  redirecting growth from physical to technical and mental attributes. Keep in mind that might "fill" the CA with less useful attributes, leading to lower quality players when they reach full PA.

ZaZ said: Unfortunately, attribute growth and minimizing injuries are two conflicting goals from training, and I prefer to manage injuries with a broader squad to be able to reap rewards of better growth. I often rely on a squad of ~30 players, and that allows my players to have higher performance than they would if I used a weaker training with a smaller squad.

In short, we are talking about 1 or 2 extra pace and acceleration per season for the entire team, which is massive as you can see in the attribute table. Not only that, but growing players faster also allow you to profit more with transfers, which can lead to stronger squads (or in the very least, money to sustain two or three extra players to cover for the injuries). The third benefit of having faster growth is to allow you to rotate more the squad without losing much quality, which helps reducing injuries.

If you feel like you cannot handle the injuries, you can change the schedule to have at most one Physical or Match Practice sessions a day, and substitute anything over that for Attacking and Defending sessions. That would reduce intensity and cut at least half of the injuries, at the cost of  redirecting growth from physical to technical and mental attributes. Keep in mind that might "fill" the CA with less useful attributes, leading to lower quality players when they reach full PA.

Most leagues have 25 players max for registration,

Considering you have a backup on each position, would you say remaining 3 should be winger,fullback and striker? I find those 3 roles to be most injury prone because of their roles/workload

animatron said: Most leagues have 25 players max for registration,

Considering you have a backup on each position, would you say remaining 3 should be winger,fullback and striker? I find those 3 roles to be most injury prone because of their roles/workload

Some leagues allow young players to play without registration, so you can use the youth team as backup in case of injuries.

Usually I play with a symmetric 424, with my fullbacks and wingers trained to the opposite side. That way, each player can cover two positions. My squad is usually something like this:
GK x3
DC x5
DL/DR x5
DM x5
AML/AMR x5
ST x5

If I am allowed only 25 players, for some cup or league, then I would use the remaining three as DL/DR, AML/AMR, and DM, as those are the positions that use the most energy during matches, which can lead to injuries.

animatron said: Most leagues have 25 players max for registration,

What leagues are you playing in? Germany and France is 99? Younger players don't need to be registered in some countries, Spain has b and u19 teams which allow extra players for first team games.

keithb said: What leagues are you playing in? Germany and France is 99? Younger players don't need to be registered in some countries, Spain has b and u19 teams which allow extra players for first team games.

Turkish League should be 25

animatron said: Turkish League should be 25

Ok no dispensation for players under 21/19/18? Can you use B and youth teams as well?

ZaZ said: Unfortunately, travel gets in the way of super rest. In that case, it might be wiser to set rest for the next day after travel.

@ZaZ If you're travelling and set the superrest for Matchday + 2, would you have trainings on the Matchday +1? My thinking is using your rest setup, only the guys who havent played or played minimally anyway and it would give them a chance to get extra training or would you have 2 days of rest with the 2nd being the superrest day?

keithb said: Ok no dispensation for players under 21/19/18? Can you use B and youth teams as well?

Yes, only for domestic players under 20, other than that no.

Hard to find good U20 domestic players consistently each season

Middleweight165 said: @ZaZ If you're travelling and set the superrest for Matchday + 2, would you have trainings on the Matchday +1? My thinking is using your rest setup, only the guys who havent played or played minimally anyway and it would give them a chance to get extra training or would you have 2 days of rest with the 2nd being the superrest day?

It is like you said. Players who participated in the match will have two days of rest, and the others will train, then rest. Keep in mind it is better if tired players don't train, so they avoid injury. That allows you to have heavier training sessions to increase more attributes overall.

If your league has too many weeks with two matches a day, you cannot expect much from training anyway.

This made me wonder whether it'd be better to schedule Match Practice or a Friendly for the same day.

Create an account or log in to leave a comment