Date: 15.03.2022
Patch 22.2.0 tests
click to show
Patch 22.1.1 ( N ) tests
click to show
Patch 22.1.1 tests
click to show

1.Introduction

Was a little uninspired these days, but today I got reminded of a formation I loved seeing as a kid, Pep's '09 Barca with Messi as a False 9. The sheer ability to dominate anything of that team fascinated me, the passing speed, accuracy, the creation, dribbling, it was spectacular.

This is my humble try of recreating it, although such tactics can never be replicated in the game fully. I have a back four consisting of 2 BPD and 2 Attacking FB's instructed to stay narrow and cut inside. This helps possession and build-up, and are very similar to what Pep used at the back. In the middle, we have a triangle of a Roaming Playmaker, who acts like a pivot to the team, looking to build up from the back while also providing defensively. Theoretically, the role would be a DLP, but I noticed an RPM acts more like a Barca style pivot than the DLP in game, so that's why I'm using it. 2 Attacking CM's, as assigning one of them as a playmaker like Pep did simply doesn't work in game. They still pick passes and are the engine of the team, playing risky passes in space and also maintaining possession. The IF's and F9 are there to replicate the legendary Henry-Messi-Eto'o trio up front. I have made a more classic tactic using an AF, but it seems to perform a little worse. It is uploaded anyway.

2.Formation & Roles

1) Sweeper Keeper (Support)
Not much to say about this role. I put him on support so he plays longer counter-attacking balls sometimes. If your guy isn't good at kicking, just put him on Defend.

2) 2 x Ball-Playing Center Back (Defend)
Bread and butter of your defence. They need to be alright passers, although I would recommend having one who is an excellent passer, even if he's just average at defending, since long balls work well with this tactic.
Key Attributes: Tackling, Heading, Passing, Marking, Pace (don't prioritise but useful).

4) 2 x Full Back (Attack)
Consider these guys Wide BBM's. They need pretty much everything a BBM does, just on the wing, with instructions to stay narrow and cut inside. Rounded players are key, doesn't have to be opposite footed, just be competent with his weak foot.
Key Attributes: Stamina, Work Rate, Pace, Crossing, Tackling, Dribbling

5) Roaming Playmaker (Support)
A mobile, creative DM who is the pivot of the team. This guy is at the center of it all, so get a good, creative passer in here. He has to be somewhat decent defensively at least.
Key Attributes: Passing, Dribbling, Vision, Teamwork, First Touch, Pace, Tackling

7) 2 x Central Midfielder (Attack)
The engine of your team. These 2 guys will press opposition when the ball is lost and help your midfield create and spread balls forward when in possession. Stamina and work rate is important, as lazy players tend to not do their defensive duty well, or get too tired doing it.
Key Attributes: Stamina, Work Rate, Pace, Overall

8) 2 x Inside Forward (Attack)
This guy's main job is to cut inside and pass or score, simple as that. You need fast, talented dribblers who can pick a pass and shoot a ball.
Key Attributes: Pace, Acceleration, Dribbling, Technique, Finishing, Decisions

9) 1 x False 9 (Support)
The Messi role needs no introduction. This, in my opinion is the key to the whole tactic. You need a good passer, dribbler, shooter. You need a young Messi prefferably, but if you don't have such a thing use whatever you have closest to that.
Key Attributes: Acceleration, Vision, Finishing, Pace, Dribbling, Technique, Decisions

3.Tactical Breakdown

There's a great breakdown of the tactic done on youtube, and this guy has been the source of inspiration for multiple of my tactics, so check him out!

4.Results

!!! ALL RESULTS ARE DONE WITHOUT ANY TRANSFERS + GO ON VACATION UNTIL END OF SEASON !!!

I tested this tactic with 4 different teams in 2 different leagues, both 19th and 20th media prediction. Watford and Vallecano used the F9 tactic, while Norwich and Mallorca used the AF tactic. Overall, I feel like the F9 performed better, but both results are pretty impressive.

Vallecano got 4th and qualified for Champions' League, while Mallorca got 5th! In the Prem, Watford got into Europe, while Norwich is sitting confidently in mid table, after predicted to be dead last.

[/url]

Another great write up fella.

MrGreen said: Another great write up fella.

Thanks man, appreciate it!

I am trying your tactics in my 3rd season with Watford ... I have very good results so far

Filer974 said: I am trying your tactics in my 3rd season with Watford ... I have very good results so far

Thanks! Let me know how it goes and post some results if you can. I stopped testing personally with teams stronger than mid-table, as the results are very inconclusive. If a tactic works with Watford or Mallorca, then it works with Man United as well haha

As a Newcastle fan, born and raised in Newcastle, imagine my excitement this FM, so I a looking for a 4-3-3 style tactic to go with my 4-2-3-1, gonna give this a look, as my recruitment means this i viable

Peter78 said: As a Newcastle fan, born and raised in Newcastle, imagine my excitement this FM, so I a looking for a 4-3-3 style tactic to go with my 4-2-3-1, gonna give this a look, as my recruitment means this i viable

Glad I could help! Make sure to share results if you want if you end up using it.

3rd season with watford and I try your tactics.... What more can I say... There are signs that do not deceive, This is the 1st time I beat Liverpool and with 44 points after 19 days, we are quiet ...

Filer974 said: 3rd season with watford and I try your tactics.... What more can I say... There are signs that do not deceive, This is the 1st time I beat Liverpool and with 44 points after 19 days, we are quiet ...

Great results! Hope you can stay up there and beat Liverpool for the title in the long run.

I'll keep you informed. Great tactic anyway, congratulations

A version using Inverted Wing Backs and Volantes is live. I think it may perform better defensively while not sacrificing too much of the attacking power.

Results with this version

Results with my 5.5* 4-4-2 tactic

Looks promising, might be a better version.

EDIT: Forgot to add formation

3rd with Watford. Super tactic

After Watford, I am at PSV, victory in the cup and in the league. 3 attackers slamming goal after goal ... Great. I am champion even if Ajax ends the season undefeated

Filer974 said: After Watford, I am at PSV, victory in the cup and in the league. 3 attackers slamming goal after goal ... Great. I am champion even if Ajax ends the season undefeated

Yeah, I love in this tactic that all 3 in the front are scoring and assisting a lot. Really helps develop your attackers better.

Added a few tweaks to my F9 formation as I have been using this tweaked tactic in my saves. Seems to work a little better than the original so I gave it a quick test and it worked great!

Create an account or log in to leave a comment