Creating homegrown players

by Yarema, Jan 28, 2023

So I thought I'd ask you guys for some opinions or tips. The issue is basically how to develop decent enough club grown players.

Let me paint the typical picture. I bring a club from lower leagues into top division. Within a couple of years I start qualifying for european competitions which have quite strict registration rules, specifically 4 players grown at club. Usually I have no one of the required quality within the club at that point, youth intake is bad enough to produce nothing of sorts, so I have to "create" them.

I can buy a bunch of 18 year old prospects that will become club grown in time, but the issue is how can I aid their development. Can't buy a player younger than 18 generally which means they'll have to stay at the club the whole time.

So now I have a few lets say 2 star CA, 5 star potential players that I want to become club grown. But I also want them to develop. I can give them maybe 3 starts and 5 sub appearances per season, that's not enough. Loaning them out is not an option or they lose their chance to become club grown. Reserve team is either non existant or plays only friendlies and U19 can only cover for a year.

What do I do? Sacrifice their development and keep them at club, rotate them in when possible? Give up on their HG status and just register a couple of players less? Perhaps get some mid talent club grown and loan out the absolute top talents? I'm really interested how you guys tackle this problem.

@Yarema, hunt for good homegrown players on the transfer market.

Look at the EPL, good English homegrown players cost a fortune, all top clubs fight for them.

Top clubs can afford buying good homegrown players and that why they have advantage over small clubs.

Also, buy young players ( 18 year old ) who have a great potential and who are good enough to play for you, at least in some matches and after 2-3 they will get "Homegrown" status.

Getting enough good "Homegrown" players is a seriously problem for small clubs but when you become a top club then you really have enough money just buy the best homegrown players.

Create an account or log in to leave a comment