Introducing a new algorithm for determining the number of matches to test tactics

by Zippo, Apr 27, 2023

Hey,

We've implemented a new algorithm for determining the number of matches to test tactics.

We find the new algorithm has an excellent balance between "testing speed" and "result accuracy".

I want to explain you in details how it works.

Every tactic should get 2 runs(800 matches) by default.

If after 2 runs a tactic hits 49 points or above, then it'll be given 1 additional run for total 3 runs(1,200 matches)

If after 3 runs(1,200 matches) a tactic hits 51 points or above and also manages to get in the Hall Of Fame or get a score that is no more than 1 point less than the score of its competitor in the Hall of Fame then it'll be given 7 additional runs for total 10 runs(10,000 matches). Please note, it might not happen instantly but don't worry, it'll happen at some point.

Here's a small example how it works. Let's imagine there's 4-2-3-1 with 53 pts in the Hall of Fame and after 3 runs(1,200 matches) your 4-2-3-1 got 52 pts, it means that your 4-2-3-1 is qualified to get 7 additional runs. As I already said, the 7 additional runs might not happen instantly but don't worry, it'll happen at some point.

Also, I want to add that some additional improvements that we made to our new tactic testing league greatly helped to reduce the RNG( almost by half) so the RNG of 3 runs(1,200 matches) on our new tactic testing league is no higher than -/+ 2 points from the avg. of 10 runs(10,000 matches), which means if after 3 runs (1,200 matches) a tactic hits 2 points less than its competitor in the Hall of Fame then it already won't be able to improve the score of its competitor even if it gets 10 runs, so not running it for additional runs in this case, help us not to waste the computing power of the testing server for noting.

Cheers.

Zippo said: Hey,

We've implemented a new algorithm for determining the number of matches to test tactics.

We find the new algorithm has an excellent balance between "testing speed" and "result accuracy".

I want to explain you in details how it works.

Every tactic should get 2 runs(800 matches) by default.

If after 2 runs a tactic hits 49 points or above, then it'll be given 1 additional run for total 3 runs(1,200 matches)

If after 3 runs(1,200 matches) a tactic hits 51 points or above and also manages to get in the Hall Of Fame or get a score that is no more than 1 point less than the score of its competitor in the Hall of Fame then it'll be given 7 additional runs for total 10 runs(10,000 matches). Please note, it might not happen instantly but don't worry, it'll happen at some point.

Here's a small example how it works. Let's imagine there's 4-2-3-1 with 53 pts in the Hall of Fame and after 3 runs(1,200 matches) your 4-2-3-1 got 52 pts, it means that your 4-2-3-1 is qualified to get 7 additional runs. As I already said, the 7 additional runs might not happen instantly but don't worry, it'll happen at some point.

Also, I want to add that some additional improvements that we made to our new tactic testing league greatly helped to reduce the RNG( almost by half) so the RNG of 3 runs(1,200 matches) on our new tactic testing league is no higher than -/+ 2 points from the avg. of 10 runs(10,000 matches), which means if after 3 runs (1,200 matches) a tactic hit 2 points less than its competitor in the Hall of Fame then it already won't be able to improve the score of its competitor even if it gets 10 runs, so not running it for additional runs in this case, help us not to waste the computing power of the testing server for noting.

Cheers.

Sometimes i do watch at those changelogs like i look at a "hot" chica :

Create an account or log in to leave a comment