Genie Scout vs. squirrel_plays app?

by johnconnerson, Jan 7, 2024

I'm curious if anyone here has tried out the app that Youtuber squirrel_plays created for FM24.

https://fm-client-app.vercel.app/

It seems really neat. It uses some of the data from here to calculate how good players are in different roles. I'm curious how this data compares to the calculations from Genie Scout, and the various GS calculations others have come up with here. Is one better than the other? Or are they about the same?

I've been using Squirrel_plays' app on my current save and it's quite neat. It's not perfect, mind you, but it gives a good rough estimate of a player's quality in a certain position.

I find it very useful to quickly look through my team's roster and sort out players, find holes, suitable tactics, and potential off-load candidates. For a journeyman save it helps a ton.

But what I like most about it is that it gives me a single consistent metric to track player development and compare squads with.

My Swallows squad early in the save:

LA Galaxy Ch League run:

My Inter squad later on:

You can clearly see standouts or if you have too many players in a position, and it can help you plan transfers or squad hierarchy.

A 13 rated player will always be better than an 11 rated player, although a few decimal point differences can be misleading, especially if you're not looking at all the suitable roles. Once you get a general evaluation, you can then look more in-depth to pick your favorites.

It also does a good job at pointing out underrated players that will most likely outperform their value. For example, Vasconcelos was a 2.5 star rated player I got for 100k that played better than my DPs that cost 20x more and still played better than a 4.5 star wonderkid I got for 10mil later on. The AI would never give such a player gametime.

Now, I can't say how it compares to Genie Scout ratings, since I haven't used those much, but it serves a similar purpose. It still needs some work, but you can customize stat priorities yourself so I like it as a scouting tool.

It's better than using CA/PA imo, and it feels less like cheating, since you still actually have to scout players and make value judgments yourself.

Looking at a player and going "Oh he went from 12.8 to 13.4 in a year. Nice." is way better than looking at this and being like "wtf".

I like it.

Speed said: I've been using Squirrel_plays' app on my current save and it's quite neat. It's not perfect, mind you, but it gives a good rough estimate of a player's quality in a certain position.

I find it very useful to quickly look through my team's roster and sort out players, find holes, suitable tactics, and potential off-load candidates. For a journeyman save it helps a ton.

But what I like most about it is that it gives me a single consistent metric to track player development and compare squads with.

Genie Scout does all of those things to, plus it includes metrics for player Potential.

The main difference is that Squirrel plays app works with what you see in the game, with all it's limitations. Genie has all the hidden information as well, which some people don't like knowing.

New user here, I heard about this site from a SP video actually.  I have to say that SP's app has changed how I play the game. I totally understand the comp to FM Genie - but for me, the fact SP's app doesn't have any potential for showing hidden information is huge for me.

I also really like that it's not something you can blindly use. I like that a player could be rated super high as an Inside Forward, but then you are forced to still look at the player and determine if he's the right player for that role or if some attributes are just skewing things.

Squirrel_Player's python code's valuation for important attribute, and attributes per position is flawed. While I'm sure it's good for a quick look at potential transfer targets, FM scout's calculation method (and people's own ratings such as MDW22 and ykykyky) offer a much better solution in every regard.

Create an account or log in to leave a comment