Set piece testing

by Mark, Jan 16, 2024

I am going to use @dzek testing database to look at a few of the recommended  set pieces. I will be doing 4000 test matches with each set piece routine. The base tactic will be Katana 4231 v 1.3 which I think is close enough to the best tactic this year.

I will test all the set piece tactics in this forum if I am am able and update this OP with the results. Wish me luck.

So here goes.

The baseline: Katana v1.3 for 4000 tests.



Testing table Update:



Thoughts:

I have now come up with a rating and ranking system. I think that anything that is 10% above the baseline should be excellent and worth using, so there are a lot of excellent candidates for you to use. The stand out top 6 are Blue, Han106 1-24, Azure V3, Chicken Wing v1.8, Han 1-21 and Delicious 4 inside 34. I will be using the top ranked Blue Routine.

Previously I was approaching the results from 2 different ways.

The first was overall impact on results, as you cant tell how many goals have come as a result of the play after the set piece has occurred eg counter attacks, and also the throw ins. I am unsure how to find results from throw ins. So if you prefer this one then you should look at the points difference from the baseline tactic. Blue just leads Zim and Chciken Wing v1.8 from Han106 1-24 on this measure.

The second way to approach it was the overall set piece impact (SP +/-). There are 5 that standout on this measure. Han106 1-24 SP Best Hits seems to be the overall winner here from Han106 1-21 SP Best Hits, Delicious 4 inside 34 who is slightly in front of Chicken Wing v1.8 and CSTG KANE 4231VIFS. I think you could use any of these 5 or Blue, Azure v3 or Zim with confidence.

I would like to thank all the routine developers and sharers that gave me something to test.

Update:

I have added an overall score and rank.

Schedule:

I uploaded and tested Knap MC40, Chicken Wing v1.8 and Azure V3. There are now no more to test, Back to my Scunthorpe save.

Legend:

PPM Points per match
GFPM Goals for per match
GAPM Goals against per match
GDPM Goal Difference per match
Corners Goals from corners
DFK Direct free kick goals
IFK Indirect free kick goals
CornersA Goals against from corners
DFKA Direct free kick goals against
IFK Indirect free kick goals against
Pts Dif The PPM difference from the baseline tactic
Corner Dif Difference between goals from corners and goals against from corners per match
DFK Dif Difference between goals from DFK and goals against from DFK per match
IFK Dif Difference between goals from IFK and goals against from IFK per match
SP +/- total of the 3 Dif columns, so overall impact of attack and defend set pieces
% SP For The percentage of goals scored from set pieces
% SP Against The percentage of goals scored against from set pieces

11

Nice! That's something we were missing.

Can you tell me about the player attributes in the said database? What's the jumping reach of the players?

0

kvasir said: Nice! That's something we were missing.

Can you tell me about the player attributes in the said database? What's the jumping reach of the players?


@dzek tells me that they are the same as the fm arena database

0

Hey @Mark Just to clarify, you've added set ZIMs set piece routine to katana? what did you do in regards to personel list etc please.

Good work as always

0

Looking forward to this

0

could you explain each tab? std dev, ppm, etc. in the main post maybe so everyone that dont know can just enter this post and read the explanation of each one ( like saying what std dev means etc)

0

Mark said: @dzek tells me that they are the same as the fm arena database
Just to clarify something here. My test league uses the same player attributes as it is in FM-Arena tactic test league V1.0. I don't know if there are any changes in V2.0.

Other than that congratulations Mark for the initiative and I imagine that would help a lot of people.

Thank you! :)

0

CBP87 said: Hey @Mark Just to clarify, you've added set ZIMs set piece routine to katana? what did you do in regards to personel list etc please.

Good work as always


I left it with the staff

1

dzek said: Just to clarify something here. My test league uses the same player attributes as it is in FM-Arena tactic test league V1.0. I don't know if there are any changes in V2.0.

Other than that congratulations Mark for the initiative and I imagine that would help a lot of people.

Thank you! :)


Only the small changes I mentioned on the test league forum

0

Mark said: Only the small changes I mentioned on the test league forum
What changes are you talking about? I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

0

dzek said: What changes are you talking about? I'm not sure I understand what you mean.


Described here

A copy of the league here

0

Mark said: Described here

A copy of the league here

So you're using your own version of my test league for these tests here?

0

dzek said: So you're using your own version of my test league for these tests here?

yes

1

Which one are you trying next?
Delicious has one posted. That's the one I've been using in my current save and I'm topping the "goals from corners" table.

https://community.sigames.com/forums/topic/569493-delicious-zone-fm24-23/page/11/#comment-14274330

0

Sorry for the delays. I decided I wanted to extend it to 4000 tests. I have now done 3 set piece routines and updated the original post. I removed standard deviation as I didn't think it offered much . I added a few other columns to try and make sense of the testing and updated the Legend at the bottom of the OP. I have also given my thoughts and the schedule for testing. I hope this helps someone. At the end of the process I might look to take the best from each of the SPs and build something for testing.

As always please let me know your thoughts

Original tables





Updated tables



0

Hmm so looking at the numbers so far which is also supported by an fmscout comment on the set piece tactic itself all of Zim's set pieces are top class EXCEPT his attacking corners! Using Delicious' or Chou's Corners and the rest of Zim's stuff if they can be used together would be the best way to setup your set pieces.

0

https://fm-arena.com/find-comment/29689/

I definitely recommend you to test this. In a season in which I scored 191 goals, I scored 58 corner goals with this routine. Kusi-Asare, with 20 jumping, scored 80 goals in the league that season (:

0

I combined everything from Zim's that is not Attacking Corners and Chou's Attacking Corners for now.
EDIT: Removed 2nd attacking set piece

FM-Arena 1-17 Set piece best hits.fmf
Downloaded : 326 times
Uploaded : Jan 18, 2024
0

pixar said: https://fm-arena.com/find-comment/29689/

I definitely recommend you to test this. In a season in which I scored 191 goals, I scored 58 corner goals with this routine. Kusi-Asare, with 20 jumping, scored 80 goals in the league that season (:



Han106 said: I combined everything from Zim's that is not Attacking Corners and Chou's Attacking Corners for now.

Start a new post on the Set Piece Sharing forum and I will add it to the schedule

0

I have updated the OP with 3 new tests and have another 3 scheduled. I have also added 2 new columns.

1

Han106 said: I combined everything from Zim's that is not Attacking Corners and Chou's Attacking Corners for now.

sry but when I loaded it, there were 2 attacking corner routines, even though Chou only has one

0

lord676 said: sry but when I loaded it, there were 2 attacking corner routines, even though Chou only has one

Zim has 2 so @Han106 might not have removed the second one.

0

lord676 said: sry but when I loaded it, there were 2 attacking corner routines, even though Chou only has one

Updated, should be good now. Nice catch!

FM-Arena 1-17 Set piece best hits.fmf
Downloaded : 366 times
Uploaded : Jan 18, 2024
1

So , That ''Chu'' has the best Set pieces? i havent saw that name before

0

The M1rakuru said: So , That ''Chu'' has the best Set pieces? i havent saw that name before

According to the tests, he has the best Attacking corner results. Everything else the results favor or are close enough to Zim's

0

Han106 said: According to the tests, he has the best Attacking corner results. Everything else the results favor or are close enough to Zim's
i dont know if i read the correct table collum , coz there is not  a GFC one as i can read,  but in corners i see delicius second then zim

0

A further update to the table.



The updated @Delicious routine looks very good. Only just behind in overall points but leading or close to it with all other stats.

3

Mark said: A further update to the table.



The updated @Delicious routine looks very good. Only just behind in overall points but leading or close to it with all other stats.


i am already working on the finals version, didn't know you could tweak pieces on thrown-in :)

Testing out now the free kicks method

2

Delicious said: i am already working on the finals version, didn't know you could tweak pieces on thrown-in :)

Testing out now the free kicks method


Don't think there's too much to gain by throw-ins, especially attacking ones. On attack you can only choose between retain possession and work the line. I've always used retain possession because I wanna keep the ball and not risking giving the ball away cheaply. But work the line is interesting, and it would be good to know which one is better.

Only on Attacking third, and if you choose Long Throw you can switch your players around like on other setpieces. Sure some long-throw tactics can be tested, but doing a short throw seems so good already in attack. Work into box is fine there.

On defensive throw-ins however, there's potensial to make it more solid by either zonal or man-marking, and how many players staying in attack or on edge of the box.

0

TurtleKing said: Don't think there's too much to gain by throw-ins, especially attacking ones. On attack you can only choose between retain possession and work the line. I've always used retain possession because I wanna keep the ball and not risking giving the ball away cheaply. But work the line is interesting, and it would be good to know which one is better.

Only on Attacking third, and if you choose Long Throw you can switch your players around like on other setpieces. Sure some long-throw tactics can be tested, but doing a short throw seems so good already in attack. Work into box is fine there.

On defensive throw-ins however, there's potensial to make it more solid by either zonal or man-marking, and how many players staying in attack or on edge of the box.



with the 4 men, i generally worked more on defensive approach then anything. Free kicks from zim are working really nice. I even tested all those set pieces around.

1
Create an account or log in to leave a comment