The 'Position Rating' and its impact on the performance

by Zippo, Mar 30, 2021

I used 3 calculations and multiplied them out. The first is the Attributes Weights for Position table from FM Scout, the second was the CA cost by attribute for each position I found on SI (which does come from an older version, but seems to stack up - derived some positions because they weren't all covered), and the third was the attributes test table from FM Arena (where I calculated a proportionate weighting - 1 minus original PPG divided by attribute changed PPG plus 1). For example Pace -3 gave a PPG of 1.669 1+(1-2.114/1.669) = 1.2105. After multiplying these three together I then calculated the percentage that applied to each attribute from the resulting values. Because Genie Scout doesn't allow decimals, I multiplied the results by 3 in the GS ratings to make it more accurate.

Below are the tables I used and the results:

For anyone interested, I have also used this info to identify the best individual training for positions. Given that Pace and Acceleration take the most Current Ability so make the least impact in training, I calculated the best attributes to train for each position. Here are my findings. Take a look at your players and figure out which individual training will make the most impact.

@Mark Can you re-post the GK FM Genie? It looks like you put in the DM image in place of GK. Thanks!

saycarramrod said: @Mark Can you re-post the GK FM Genie? It looks like you put in the DM image in place of GK. Thanks!

Done. Edited original post and here it is as well

hello, if I understood correctly to compose the team we use fm genie with the ratings that you have created? should you use the rating position or role

sorry for my english i use google translate

thepunisher23 said: hello, if I understood correctly to compose the team we use fm genie with the ratings that you have created? should you use the rating position or role

sorry for my english i use google translate

You should always use the position rating. But make sure your player is at least competent for that position in game.

I don't know if it will be useful for anyone but I wrote a python app to quickly calculate player ratings, based on attribute percentage values that @Mark  has shared.

You need to do a few things for it to work but it could be used to help with team selection.

Here is what you need to do:

1. Download the rar from here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/oji710cmrcutec2/player_ratings.rar/file
2. Unpack it
3. There should be file "Attributes.fmf" inside. Put it in your Football Manager 2021 -> squad views folder. Go into the game, to squad tab and import the view.

Once you've imported it, it should look like this:

Click on one of the players, press Ctrl+A, then Ctrl+P, you should get a pop-up like that:

Click Web Page, press Ok and save the file.

Now open the file you have saved it should look like that:

Copy all of it except the "sigames.com" at the bottom.

Go to the folder you have downloaded previously, go into the team_selector folder, and find an Excel file named "data".

Open it, and paste what you have copied like that:

Now you are all done, find the "team_selector.exe" file and open it:

Now, when you click on the position, you should see players from your team that play in that positon and their ratings.

Now if you want to calculate it for a different team, you just need to replace the data in the excel file.

Ratings are on scale from 1-20. Only players that are at least "competent" in the select position are displayed.

I've used only the most important attributes that @Mark  posted (over 6%), maybe I'll add more later.

I know it's quite a lot hassle to make it work, but I wrote it mostly to practice my python skills, and I've thought maybe someone will find it useful.

Here is the repository with source code if someone was interested: https://github.com/Egraam20/fm_player_ratings

This is actually amazing! I'll give it a try and compare it with Genie Scout :)

for me its not working when I press on a position nothing is displayed, I use libre office, should I use microsoft office?

thepunisher23 said: for me its not working when I press on a position nothing is displayed, I use libre office, should I use microsoft office?

I've tried it with LibreOffice as well and it worked for me.

When saving the file select the "Use Excel 2007-365 Format" option:

Also make sure your file looks like that after pasting the data:

You can close the file and open it once again after saving to check if it looks like that. Remember that the file has to be called "data" and be in the same folder as "team_selector.exe"

these good it works, fm21 was in french i modify them in english

I will do a test with colchester united with the positions of egraam and genie scout

Of course it might be because im having the best players during this season, or due to another reasons, but im currently unbeaten and broke 30 streak wins record in my league (Liga NOS).

For sure that these weights are helping out!

Thanks @Mark  for the effort and results and thanks @Egraam  for the Python script - its way easier to check the best players this way.

There was an issue with the script when it comes to choosing the players from the right positions: for example AMC showed Ansu Fati who is AM(RL), ST (C) - because the script looked for AM and then (C). I've managed to fix that, hopefully there aren't any other bugs - https://www.mediafire.com/file/317r4hohdxideri/player_ratings_2.rar/file

I've also included scouting view (Scouting Attributes.fmf) which works the same way as attributes view:

Just remember to copy without "sigames.com" at the bottom (or you can copy with it, just remove it from the excel file).

The advantage over Genie Scout is that Genie Scout shows you all the players in the game - even those ones that aren't interested in coming to your team - while here it will only show players from you player search - so you can choose only the ones that are interested in transfer or loan

would you have a filter with this data to search within the game? @Egraam

xxvnc said: would you have a filter with this data to search within the game? @Egraam

You mean to see those ratings inside the game? I don't think that's possible, you'd need to  somehow modify the game probably, and what I do is pretty simple - I check for player's position, then based on their position there are different weights and attributes (they are from @Mark's table). Here is an example for Central Defender:

What I do is I multiply attributes by weights and add them to each other (so Decisions*0.13+Positioning*0.10...+Pace*0.08). The last step I do is I standardize the data, so ratings for all the positions are on the same 1-20 scale (I multiply the rating by 1/sum of weights for selected position).

You could do all of that using calculator, just looking at player's profile inside the game, it's just a lot of work to do that for the whole team/multiple players so I wrote a script to do it faster.

UPDATE:

I've also simplified the process of importing data, so you won't have to click as much.

Now all you have to do is name the html file "data" (file that you were getting after pressing ctrl+p on all selected players, and copying data from into excel) and put it in the team_selector folder (the same folder where there was previously an excel fille).

This is the html file I'm talking about:

And you should put it here (just replace the file that is there):

Here is the link to the updated version - https://www.mediafire.com/file/r78zzz56s87wdqp/player_ratings_3.rar/file

The excel version is still valid, this one just saves you a couple of clicks, because you don't have to copy the data into excel.

Just a simple question. Can skins use formulas based on player attributes to show stuff?

ZaZ said: Just a simple question. Can skins use formulas based on player attributes to show stuff?

I haven't dabbled in the black arts of skins design so can't answer that question. However, I find it easy just to use Genie Scout, with my ratings formulas and positional information included.

You can sort on the positional rating that is based on my ratings calculations and see whether or not the player is suited to the position - 12-20 is competent and above. The rating percentage is how good they are based on my rating calculation.

Just set Genie Scout up like the picture. The fastest way to set it up is to click on the Genie Scout logo top left, then Options and then Player Columns. You can then select or deselect as many columns as you want.

Here is mine for St Albans for my Centre Backs. Sort by DC Rating then DC and then Club.

I really appreciate what you are doing but I am having a mistake in executing the team selector, of the failure.

thanks for the great work @Egraam

@Mark by any chance, would it be possible to share your excel file with the weightings of each position?

I want to change a little bit the weighting of the 3 sources you've used (FM Arena testing + FM Scout att weightings and the CA cost) and do some experiments.

@Gracolas It will only allow me to attach picture files or FM tactic files - sorry

Mark said: @Gracolas It will only allow me to attach picture files or FM tactic files - sorry

you always can upload it on any file sharing host and post here a download link for it... just saying :)

Grimlock said: you always can upload it on any file sharing host and post here a download link for it... just saying :)

Good thinking - link: Ratings Weightings spreadsheet

For all those unaware, if you have Genie Scout you can do the following:
1) Under Scouting, go to "Player Search" and in the upper right click the "Interested in: Transfer" (select as low as you want, I usually do at least "Slightly Interested"
2) Click down and select a player, then hit Ctrl + A to Select All
3) In Genie Scout (with loaded game) hit Ctrl + L and all of those players will go to a quick Shortlist in Genie Scout

This will allow you to filter however you want in game (EU National, Asking Price, Interested in joining you, etc) and bring that into Genie Scout to search who is the best fit/best available to join you.

Hope that helps some!

@Mark @ZaZ Please can you share ingame filters Player Search i don't use Genie Scout thank you in advance

Kma said: @Mark @ZaZ Please can you share ingame filters Player Search i don't use Genie Scout thank you in advance

Use the scout meeting to ask for players with high pace and acceleration. Add those columns to the squad of other teams and check their youth teams for young players with high attributes. Go to scouting center and search for players with some interest and high pace and acceleration, and add those columns to the search. Hiring scouts from different nationalities also help.

all that i need is pace and acceleration? PS: i play in tier 10 - england i don't have scout ><

Kma said: all that i need is pace and acceleration? PS: i play in tier 10 - england i don't have scout ><

I don't know what is tier 10. If you mean the lowest division, then you should filter players by interest, then have trials by groups of 30 to reveal their stats.

yes it's update lower league to level 10 in england and thanks man^^

@Mark Any chance of saving your Genie Scout ratings as a .grf file and uploading them here?

I think you can save the file by going to Rating > Edit Player Rating and clicking the Rating > Save button

Create an account or log in to leave a comment