FM22 Positional Filters – what are the best attributes for each position?

by Mark, Nov 29, 2021

OpticFawn said: Hey, @Mark and @ZaZ This is weird, this player according to genie under the zaz 25 under 50 rating has the guy rated better than all of my strikers but looks the worst? what do you guys think I'm seeing this on other players.

José Huanca rating = 73.1

Dennis = 69.65

Junior Arias = 71.18

As you can see Jose is the highest by a fair bit and looks the worst out of the 3.

I assume you are using the balanced version from Mark, since it shows target striker. I agree with you that first player should be scored lower than second, but he probably has a higher concentration of attributes in the most important values.

ZaZ said: I assume you are using the balanced version from Mark, since it shows target striker. I agree with you that first player should be scored lower than second, but he probably has a higher concentration of attributes in the most important values.

I guess even on the regular version of the ratings he is 69.58, according to this he would be the 3rd best st in the game.

@ZaZ guessing you shouldn't blindly follow it?

OpticFawn said: Hey, @Mark and @ZaZ This is weird, this player according to genie under the zaz 25 under 50 rating has the guy rated better than all of my strikers but looks the worst? what do you guys think I'm seeing this on other players.

José Huanca rating = 73.1

Dennis = 69.65

Junior Arias = 71.18

As you can see Jose is the highest by a fair bit and looks the worst out of the 3.

I am sorry mate but I cant replicate the issue. I have done the manual calculations and also set 3 identical players up in my test save and get different results and orders to what you have.

All I can think of is it hasn't loaded properly or it has somehow changed.

If you could get a copy of your save linked I would happily investigate further if you want. But as it stands I really don't know what is going on.

Hi all, I am new to the forums and just downloaded GS for the first time so learning a lot. So a really noob question, the idea is that i use the rating % filter on a position i am looking at and the highest % is the best person for the position based on the amended ratings? Also Can you search on role i.e SS v AM? Also thank you @Mark and @ZaZ for all your work. PS @Mark up up Cronulla :)

OpticFawn said: I guess even on the regular version of the ratings he is 69.58, according to this he would be the 3rd best st in the game.

@ZaZ guessing you shouldn't blindly follow it?

I would always check the player before buying, no matter the filter you are using.

Mark said: I am sorry mate but I cant replicate the issue. I have done the manual calculations and also set 3 identical players up in my test save and get different results and orders to what you have.

All I can think of is it hasn't loaded properly or it has somehow changed.

If you could get a copy of your save linked I would happily investigate further if you want. But as it stands I really don't know what is going on.

@Mark, a few years in the future, so that's a regen but it is not very close to any of the players in the rating range.

sure I'll post it here

FM File

That's it @Mark

OpticFawn said: @Mark, a few years in the future, so that's a regen but it is not very close to any of the players in the rating range.

sure I'll post it here

What he is saying is that you probably downloaded the rating, but didn't make it active. You can have several ratings in your folder, but only one is active at a time.

ZaZ said: What he is saying is that you probably downloaded the rating, but didn't make it active. You can have several ratings in your folder, but only one is active at a time.

Oh I see, no I made sure I used the correct ratings in the team , clicked on it once downloaded

OpticFawn said: FM File

You have 4 strikers in your side and Huanca would be your 5th. I have run the ratings against all 5 strikers using each of the ratings files. I would be tempted to buy him. He doesn't rate well in my MDW ratings file but goes well in the Y50 and even the ykykyk files.

I think from the analysis I have, done that the machine learning works. I personally will be using the full ykykyk ratings file as I think it will be more stable longer term. I will now balance that ratings file and derive the unrated positions as best I can.

@ZaZ  prefers the chopped down versions because you get better value players. I prefer to try and get players you can keep as you progress. And I certainly move between the approaches and value what ZaZ does immensely.

My focus beyond changing my ratings file is to upgrade my approach to individual training focus. There were some notes in the machine learning example relating to that. I am exploring how I improve on that aspect in my games. At some stage I will provide my learnings on that front.

@Mark Will you post the balanced ykykyk when done? :love:

saycarramrod said: @Mark Will you post the balanced ykykyk when done? :love:

Will do

@saycarramrod here is the link to the balanced version ykykyk balanced ratings file

@Mark Thank you as always!!!

Mark said: @saycarramrod here is the link to the balanced version ykykyk balanced ratings file

Is this the ratings that you’ll be using?

ArsenalHighbury said: Is this the ratings that you’ll be using?

I definitely am. And thanks for asking.

How do you import a list to FM? I say this because it's hard to filter for lower leagues

hello guys... after testing chinese site spread sheet i have one question... for Advanced forward position they say that heading (25) and jumping reach (20) has very low impact... but when i look for CD position it shows that Heading is (55) and jumping reach is (65)! almost triple times more important... when watching game in 3D i see alot of missed headers from strikers after cross as well... so what do you think of idea that maybe they underrate heading and jumping reach for strikers? how for example Tall but fast strikers like haaland or sesko doing in crossing situations? i don't know how to test this couse i don't know if its possible to check player stats in how he scored his goals :/

Wigo said: hello guys... after testing chinese site spread sheet i have one question... for Advanced forward position they say that heading (25) and jumping reach (20) has very low impact... but when i look for CD position it shows that Heading is (55) and jumping reach is (65)! almost triple times more important... when watching game in 3D i see alot of missed headers from strikers after cross as well... so what do you think of idea that maybe they underrate heading and jumping reach for strikers? how for example Tall but fast strikers like haaland or sesko doing in crossing situations? i don't know how to test this couse i don't know if its possible to check player stats in how he scored his goals :/

Most of the aerial threat of FM22 comes from set pieces, in which defenders usually have a major role than strikers.

@Mark @ZaZ I had asked before but never clarified. When looking in Genie Scout, you are using the Position (Fast Striker, Central Defender, Mid Left) as opposed to Role (Advanced Forward, Ball Playing Defender - Def, Defensive Winger - Support) is there any reason for that? It appears that the Role Ratings do change along with the Ratings files. For example: I have a Winger who is a 79% ML (Mid Left) but is a 92% as a Winger - Support.

Now of course they tend to go along with each other, but there is some variation in the ratings when comparing the players in Position vs. Role.

Wigo said: hello guys... after testing chinese site spread sheet i have one question... for Advanced forward position they say that heading (25) and jumping reach (20) has very low impact... but when i look for CD position it shows that Heading is (55) and jumping reach is (65)! almost triple times more important... when watching game in 3D i see alot of missed headers from strikers after cross as well... so what do you think of idea that maybe they underrate heading and jumping reach for strikers? how for example Tall but fast strikers like haaland or sesko doing in crossing situations? i don't know how to test this couse i don't know if its possible to check player stats in how he scored his goals :/

Most of the aerial threat of FM22 comes from set pieces, in which defenders usually have a major role than strikers.

saycarramrod said: @Mark @ZaZ I had asked before but never clarified. When looking in Genie Scout, you are using the Position (Fast Striker, Central Defender, Mid Left) as opposed to Role (Advanced Forward, Ball Playing Defender - Def, Defensive Winger - Support) is there any reason for that? It appears that the Role Ratings do change along with the Ratings files. For example: I have a Winger who is a 79% ML (Mid Left) but is a 92% as a Winger - Support.

Now of course they tend to go along with each other, but there is some variation in the ratings when comparing the players in Position vs. Role.

Position rating is all that matters, be in genie scout or inside the game, since role ability is just a cosmetic without any effect in game.

Hello Mark and ZaZ! Congrats on the great work. You are providing invaluble analysis and insight to the game.

Regarding this whole conversation about important attributes, i've been using excel to mimic the work of genie scout, because i dont want to see the players CA, PA and hidden stats. I just want to compare my own players and find the best of them for each position and the best position for each one of them. Of course, feel free to suggest me a different way, with hidden CA and PA.

For now I export player attributes from fm print screen option, and then paste them in an specificly made excel file, and then i have the positional ratings for each on of them nice and fast. Few seconds for the whole team for every postion.

The question I have is regarding weight for each position. How do you actually calulate that?

In my mind my assumption is that a player with, lets say 10 in each attribute, should have an equal score in every position. And then, with the purpose to have numbers in the range of 0-100, i make the appropiate divisons to balance the numbers.

I.e. lets take DC position with Chinese version and zaz -25 for under 50 modifications. The total sum of the weights is 995. To make it 100 in need to devide by 9.95. So 9.95 is the balance number for this position. For FST is 7.85 etc.

Then I take players attributes and multiply them with the approriate weights for each position. Then take the sum of the result and divide it with the weight number for the position. In case of DC, i divide by 9.95 and so on. Then i divide by 20, so i can have a range of 0-100 in the result.

And this way i get the positional rating.

As a result a player with 10 in each attribute, would get 50% for all positions.
A player with 20 in every attribute would get 100% for all positions.

Is this the correct way to do this?

Nikolas said: Hello Mark and ZaZ! Congrats on the great work. You are providing invaluble analysis and insight to the game.

Regarding this whole conversation about important attributes, i've been using excel to mimic the work of genie scout, because i dont want to see the players CA, PA and hidden stats. I just want to compare my own players and find the best of them for each position and the best position for each one of them. Of course, feel free to suggest me a different way, with hidden CA and PA.

For now I export player attributes from fm print screen option, and then paste them in an specificly made excel file, and then i have the positional ratings for each on of them nice and fast. Few seconds for the whole team for every postion.

The question I have is regarding weight for each position. How do you actually calulate that?

In my mind my assumption is that a player with, lets say 10 in each attribute, should have an equal score in every position. And then, with the purpose to have numbers in the range of 0-100, i make the appropiate divisons to balance the numbers.

I.e. lets take DC position with Chinese version and zaz -25 for under 50 modifications. The total sum of the weights is 995. To make it 100 in need to devide by 9.95. So 9.95 is the balance number for this position. For FST is 7.85 etc.

Then I take players attributes and multiply them with the approriate weights for each position. Then take the sum of the result and divide it with the weight number for the position. In case of DC, i divide by 9.95 and so on. Then i divide by 20, so i can have a range of 0-100 in the result.

As a result a player with 10 in each attribute, would get 50% for all positions.

That is an interesting question. I think our Chinese colleagues gave us the answer to this very question. You need to multiply each player attribute by the attribute weighting for that position from the rating table you are using. Then total of all these calculations and divide by the total value of all the weightings for that position to give you the weighted average value of attributes. Multiply the weighted average value of attributes by 20 and subtract 121. This will give you the Tactical True Current Ability for that position for that player and allow you to compare them with other players of the same position.

You do need to remember the analysis done by FM Arena on position ability though. If a player is less than accomplished at the position you shouldn't be using them in that position.

Nikolas said: Hello Mark and ZaZ! Congrats on the great work. You are providing invaluble analysis and insight to the game.

There's no such thing as correct way. Different methods will get different kinds of output, which might be what you want or not. You can compare methods, but the result will reflect the metrics of your test, which again can have multiple forms.

Thanks for the answers. Regarding ZaZ, i agree of course. My question was more of a mathematical in nature. I wanted to know if each position is weighted equally, which is true.

My method is a bit different, but the result is the same. All position are weighted equally.

And that raises the question: How much does each position contribute to the result? For example is it more important to have a 70% rated striker or a 70% rated full back? (lets say this are the values we get with -25 for under 50)

And you can expand this further. Lets say you have a player natural at ST and W position. He scores 75% on W and 70% on ST. Do you use him as W? We cant be sure really. It may be actually more beneficial to use him as ST, if ST has more weight in getting you a win.

Regarding Tactical True CA, i am struggling to understand what does it show. If i have two players with tactical CA for given position at 120, but player A has CA of 130 and player B has CA of 110, what do we get from this infomation?

Anyway. I don't want to hijack your thread. Thanks again for all the time you both and of course fm-arena, for the time you have spent to give us a better understanding of the mechanics of this game.

ArsenalHighbury said: Is this the ratings that you’ll be using?

Mark said: I definitely am. And thanks for asking.

@Mark @ZaZ

does this work for any tactic or just the ZAZ one?
as i didn't find anything in the chinese table mentioning positions like MC, AML/AMR, WBR/WBL

there is a piece of software named FMLineupTool that can be used to prioritise the atributes needed and i would like to modify the ratings there to suit my needs

Please reply guys

doru228 said: @Mark @ZaZ

as i didn't find anything in the chinese table mentioning positions like MC, AML/AMR, WBR/WBL

there is a piece of software named FMLineupTool that can be used to prioritise the atributes needed and i would like to modify the ratings there to suit my needs

Please reply guys

I really don't understand why people complicate things. Just look at this table - https://fm-arena.com/table/13-fm22-attributes-ratings/

It's quite simple to me. For all positions except central defender you should look for Acceleration, Pace, Dribbling, Anticipation, Stamina and for central defenders you should look Jumping Reach and Strength instead of Dribbling.

doru228 said: @Mark @ZaZ

Please reply guys

I have derived the other positions and balanced the files above. Which filter are you interested in?

Bogeyman said: I really don't understand why people complicate things. Just look at this table - https://fm-arena.com/table/13-fm22-attributes-ratings/

It's quite simple to me. For all positions except central defender you should look for Acceleration, Pace, Dribbling, Anticipation, Stamina and for central defenders you should look Jumping Reach and Strength instead of Dribbling.

Im searching for those atributes for each position as per Zaz guide and have great succes acros all my saves, nice and simple.

fm arena user said: Im searching for those atributes for each position as per Zaz guide and have great succes acros all my saves, nice and simple.

Just to be clear, I just reposted that guide. Someone else from China did all the work.

Create an account or log in to leave a comment