FM23 Beta Tests

by Mark, Nov 4, 2022

Hi All. I thought I would have a bit of a play with some of the tactics that others are doing well with on this site as well as a few that have high downloads off FMBase. Ended up with 9 tactics and then added 3 of my old ones to see how they stack up. I divided the tactics into 3 Groups of 4 and then cycled them through 4 teams in Vanarama National South. So that meant 4 tests for each group so they all used each of the 4 teams. The 4 teams selected were ranked as the bottom 4 by Genie Scout in that Division and the season preview in FM23 ranked them 16 to 19th. So all pretty close and not rated much chance - St. Albans, Braintree, Oxford City and Hungerford.

Following the first round of testing I then seeded them and reran the tests. So I now have 368 games for each tactic. Results are below. The next step is running the top 2 tactics against the new ZaZ Fire 0.3 and Perfect by super korean to see how those two stack up. To make it fair the second run will be against mid table tactics.

They were all pretty good considering my expectations for these teams. The top 4 tactics were outstanding with not much between them through the whole process.

Table Update

Group 10 Update

Group 11 Update

Group 12 Update

FINAL TABLE

A quick update. First round of testing against the top 2 tactics, ZaZ Fire 0.3 moved to the top and Perfect moved 2nd, just. It was the only time I had the 4 teams finish top 4 in all 4 tests. In fact the previous record was just 2 out of the 4. These are very competitive tactics, with @ZaZ looking the best. I will do another test tomorrow and see if this early form holds up.

For me 4231 SIU working better than zap fire 0.3

Tejash said: For me 4231 SIU working better than zap fire 0.3

With a big team or an underdog ?

With Arsenal I was leaking goals with fire 0.3 but very stable and winning with 4231 SIU

Have you tried to test Fire 0.3 with Cautious mentality every match ?

Falbravv said: Have you tried to test Fire 0.3 with Cautious mentality every match ?

Im playing something very similar to the 0.3 by ZaZ, and tbh it's really good, especially against the ai 4231 with two dms, but if i play against any other tactics from the ai, i feel like my 4231 SIU is a better option to win

@Mark For me 4231 SIU is doing wonders are you sure its not better than fire 0.3?

Tejash said: @Mark For me 4231 SIU is doing wonders are you sure its not better than fire 0.3?

He said he will test further tomorrow.

@ZaZ with fire 0.3 major problem is lot of cards and leaking goals easily!! Any solution to that?

Tejash said: @ZaZ with fire 0.3 major problem is lot of cards and leaking goals easily!! Any solution to that?

Check the info in the first post of Blue: https://fm-arena.com/thread/1831-zaz-blue

Tejash said: @Mark For me 4231 SIU is doing wonders are you sure its not better than fire 0.3?

I am only half way through the testing with ZaZ Fire 0.3.

A quick update from my testing. I have now added the new 3 tactics from @ZaZ and another high download tactic from FM Base. So that brings it to 18 tactics.

The advice from FM Arena on margin of error for their testing was as follows:

12 seasons up to 6.6 points from true score
8 seasons up to 8.4 points from true score
4 seasons up to 11.6 points from true score

These are based on 38 match seasons and mine are 46 match seasons. Clearly their testing is much more precise than anything that I can all do. But I am hoping that mine will be reasonable with 12 seasons of testing, so that is what I am aiming for. This equates to 552 matches. I wont be testing the bottom 2 sides as I think they are too far behind to make it to the top. This means 13 groups of 4 teams with 4 tests each group. I am currently up to testing group 10 first test season.

The results to date are below. Overall matches played is listed, with the remainder of the stats based on a per season average for a 46 game season. Of interest is ZaZ Fire 0.3 goals for and percentage of matches won. Also Roll the Dice defensive stat. The best of the 12 seasons completed teams is still 4231 SIU.

@Mark, very good work! :thup:

Please share the link for rollthedice

Tejash said: Please share the link for rollthedice

Roll the Dice thread

It is at post number 5 on this thread

Mark said: A quick update from my testing. I have now added the new 3 tactics from @ZaZ and another high download tactic from FM Base. So that brings it to 18 tactics.

The advice from FM Arena on margin of error for their testing was as follows:

12 seasons up to 6.6 points from true score
8 seasons up to 8.4 points from true score
4 seasons up to 11.6 points from true score

These are based on 38 match seasons and mine are 46 match seasons. Clearly their testing is much more precise than anything that I can all do. But I am hoping that mine will be reasonable with 12 seasons of testing, so that is what I am aiming for. This equates to 552 matches. I wont be testing the bottom 2 sides as I think they are too far behind to make it to the top. This means 13 groups of 4 teams with 4 tests each group. I am currently up to testing group 10 first test season.

The results to date are below. Overall matches played is listed, with the remainder of the stats based on a per season average for a 46 game season. Of interest is ZaZ Fire 0.3 goals for and percentage of matches won. Also Roll the Dice defensive stat. The best of the 12 seasons completed teams is still 4231 SIU.

Glad to see Fire 0.3 is performing well. I think that will become Fire 1.0 when the game is released, while I'm trying to find a defensive tactic.

Can you please test this tactic I beat Liverpool away 0-3 with Arsenal with 10 men https://fm-base.co.uk/threads/game-breaker-tactic-433-holiday-all-season-no-transfers-amazing.179666/

Tejash said: Can you please test this tactic I beat Liverpool away 0-3 with Arsenal with 10 men https://fm-base.co.uk/threads/game-breaker-tactic-433-holiday-all-season-no-transfers-amazing.179666/

I have downloaded your tactic for testing. As I said, I still have 3 groups after the current one to test. I will then look at any emerging tactics to test. Yours will be included. I cant give you an estimated time yet.

:D

Update after Group 10.

Hi!

Goode job Mark:thup:

Can you tell me where i can find "Roll the Dice" tactic please?

Gabachinho said: Hi!

Goode job Mark:thup:

Can you tell me where i can find "Roll the Dice" tactic please?

https://fm-arena.com/find-comment/14881/

ZaZ said: https://fm-arena.com/find-comment/14881/

Thanks (sorry i didn't see it)

Somehow keep losing and leaking goals with fire 0.3 and lose simple home games with Arsenal against lower sides. Wonder why it doesn't work for my Arsenal team

Lost simple home quarter final match against Bournemouth, SHOCKING!!!

Update after Group 11. Started Group 12 and hopefully I will finish in the morning

Finishing the 12th season Fire dropped down slightly. The teams at the top that have done 12 seasons are so very close, remembering the margin of error is around 6 points. Roll the Dice is in both the finally 2 Groups and Perfect is in the final Group.

Fire is definitely not working as its leaking lot of goals and losing easy home matches too..@Mark as per your last test does it mean roll the dice is the new number 1 tactic?

Tejash said: Fire is definitely not working as its leaking lot of goals and losing easy home matches too..@Mark as per your last test does it mean roll the dice is the new number 1 tactic?

I would wait for the full 552 matches. I am using Winx as my main (only because it is my tactic and I have tweaked it a little), Fire for attacking and Roll the Dice for defending. If I was you I would use 4231 SIU at present, until all the results are in. But by then we should stat to have real tests from FM Arena. But really just about any of the tactics in the top 10 should be ok.

Okay going with 4231 SIU

Create an account or log in to leave a comment