Test #8
Date: 23.04.2023
Test #9
Test #10
Patch 23.5.0 tests
click to show

- Based on current top tactic: https://fm-arena.com/thread/4727-major-4-1-2-3-delicious/
- Higher defensive line
- Pressing forwards as side strikers

This tactic absolutely destroyed on my test build. Might be more suitable for stronger clubs, not sure.

PFs ftw

He'll probably get his share of the tornado. The same thing happened with the original tactic.*

*after tornado 68>66

Yup, I'd also wait for the tornado first before making any conclusion :)

that's really good thing with PFs

Oof, nice :)

A bit of backstory behind the change:

- I've been watching a lot of match engine these past few days and started to tweak the current top tactic, which I believed checks all the boxes for great tactic (from watching it compared to others), you can read all the details here if interested: https://fm-arena.com/thread/4793-match-engine-personal-observations/
- For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why the defensive winger is better than wide midfielder (defensively - not directly taking the ball, but just pure pressure that we're trying to play), even if I set the same exact instructions on both. So I've watched games with DW on one side, and WM on other side and I've noticed that DW plays a lot more defence. And then I've noticed they have Close down more attribute which you can't tick on WM - obvious but I've completely missed it.
- So I basically applied the same logic to forwards - Close down more only exists for pressing forwards
- Could really be an OP directive for the forward players

I raised up the defensive line to make that whole pressure more compact, and left one AF since they really pull the opponents defensive line lower + are closer to goalkeeper for Prevent Short GK directive. But for further testing, other PF/AF variations might be better + different defensive lines.

do we use opposition instructions ???

chef said: Oof, nice :)

A bit of backstory behind the change:

- I've been watching a lot of match engine these past few days and started to tweak the current top tactic, which I believed checks all the boxes for great tactic (from watching it compared to others), you can read all the details here if interested: https://fm-arena.com/thread/4793-match-engine-personal-observations/
- For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why the defensive winger is better than wide midfielder (defensively - not directly taking the ball, but just pure pressure that we're trying to play), even if I set the same exact instructions on both. So I've watched games with DW on one side, and WM on other side and I've noticed that DW plays a lot more defence. And then I've noticed they have Close down more attribute which you can't tick on WM - obvious but I've completely missed it.
- So I basically applied the same logic to forwards - Close down more only exists for pressing forwards
- Could really be an OP directive for the forward players

I raised up the defensive line to make that whole pressure more compact, and left one AF since they really pull the opponents defensive line lower + are closer to goalkeeper for Prevent Short GK directive. But for further testing, other PF/AF variations might be better + different defensive lines.

I really like the idea. However, I think you are right that at least one AF is essential. Hopefully, this can shake up the dominance of almost every top tactic using multiple AFs.

Blau said: I really like the idea. However, I think you are right that at least one AF is essential. Hopefully, this can shake up the dominance of almost every top tactic using multiple AFs.

It might be right, but curious to see how much you gonna lose putting triple PF or AF PF AF as well.
Only negative point is you need to change his role if you wanna take out tackle harder, like the DW.

RIP Tornado. Shows It's basically exactly the same as others. (Has exactly the same Goals & Points as the tactic It's based on now.) Had hopes :<

Muukzor said: RIP Tornado. Shows It's basically exactly the same as others. (Has exactly the same Goals & Points as the tactic It's based on now.) Had hopes :<

What is tornado?

chef said: - Based on current top tactic: https://fm-arena.com/thread/4727-major-4-1-2-3-delicious/
- Higher defensive line
- Pressing forwards as side strikers

This tactic absolutely destroyed on my test build. Might be more suitable for stronger clubs, not sure.

Good job with the tactic! It isn't much improvement, but brings new possibilities.

OneEye said: What is tornado?

When they run it 3 times 1920 -> 5760 matches.

chef said: When they run it 3 times 1920 -> 5760 matches.

Bro, do you have tactics for the underdog? Are all the tactics that are at their best here for strong teams?

Antal said: Bro, do you have tactics for the underdog? Are all the tactics that are at their best here for strong teams?

I'm just testing with City, doesn't mean it won't work for underdogs. Did you try using it for a season?

Antal said: Bro, do you have tactics for the underdog? Are all the tactics that are at their best here for strong teams?

I disagree. Playing with a strong team is essential to ensure that the players can fulfill the requirements of the tactic. And I do think you can use the tactic for underdogs team, because a lot of times there will be through ball straight to striker without many one-two pass

chef said: I'm just testing with City, doesn't mean it won't work for underdogs. Did you try using it for a season?

I tried a few tactics of KNAP, but they do not work as confident as before, this year it became harder, but more realistic. Now I have begun the season with your tactics and statistics in the game gives me more chances to win than tactics with winger and insiders. xG is much better. I like to play with one striker, but it looks like extreme attackers do not dominate now. I will test your tactics.

ta2199 said: I disagree. Playing with a strong team is essential to ensure that the players can fulfill the requirements of the tactic. And I do think you can use the tactic for underdogs team, because a lot of times there will be through ball straight to striker without many one-two pass

What you say correctly, but the high line of defense makes it possible to escape the opponent's forwards

there are no special designed tactics for underdogs that make them win 100% matches

there are no special designed tactics for favorites that me them win 100% matches

BUT there are good tactics that make you overarching(doing better than your media prediction) with any type of team

AND there are poor tactics that make you underachieve(doing worse than your media prediction) with any type of team

Check this - https://fm-arena.com/thread/3293-what-it-takes-to-dominate-epl-with-bournemouth/

Lapidus said: there are no special designed tactics for underdogs that make them win 100% matches

there are no special designed tactics for favorites that me them win 100% matches

BUT there are good tactics that make you overarching(doing better than your media prediction) with any type of team

AND there are poor tactics that make you underachieve(doing worse than your media prediction) with any type of team

This is excellent. But now I always dreamed of choosing different tactics for each opponent. Neutralizing their strong positions and realize my best sides. It is not very fun to play only one tactic. Playing in one championship of the team of almost the same level, but when you play in the Cup and go far by playing Vanarama South by amateur club, there you need to make a miracle and make some money a lot of luck and tactics that will perfectly work in this game.

Lapidus said: Check this - https://fm-arena.com/thread/3293-what-it-takes-to-dominate-epl-with-bournemouth/

I read this analysis for that week, bro. It's nice to realize that strong players decide no less than tactics

Antal said: This is excellent. But now I always dreamed of choosing different tactics for each opponent. Neutralizing their strong positions and realize my best sides. It is not very fun to play only one tactic. Playing in one championship of the team of almost the same level, but when you play in the Cup and go far by playing Vanarama South by amateur club, there you need to make a miracle and make some money a lot of luck and tactics that will perfectly work in this game.

Instead of changing tactics for each game I try and analyse weaknesses and pick my team to attack the identified weakness. My squad is generally around 30 players. I have Best XI, 2nd XI, Fastest, Biggest, and Most Potential based on stats and GS Ratings. I also have Firsts and Seconds with the Firsts having biggest CBs and one big forward with two fast forwards and the fastest wingers I have. The Seconds is the best players form the remaining squad.

I find this makes it more interesting than just playing your best eleven with the same tactic for each game. I also alter tactics through the game. I usually drop the defensive line and play Cautious for the first 10 to 15 minutes before moving to the default for the tactic I use. And then tweak the tactic depending on how the game is playing out.

Antal said: What you say correctly, but the high line of defense makes it possible to escape the opponent's forwards

I don't think so, because it all depends on your players. For example, when I'm playing with ATM, playing with a lower defensive line doesn't work that well. However, after I change to a higher defensive line, I start to concede less. As you can see from FM-Arena's test, the defensive line usually doesn't make any difference in the long run, but it usually has the most impact per game (depends on how your opponent is playing)

Could you put up screen shot for player instructions please

Maco80 said: Could you put up screen shot for player instructions please

No additional instructions on PFs

Thanks Chef - Brilliant !  You are cooking up a storm at Luton

Looks great! Is there a sensitive difference between PFs and AFs versions in terms of performances of strikers and goals distribution?

I doubt it. Initial tests were higher, but reduced to same as AF AF AF setup after more testing

Sorry mate what defencesive line do you play low standard or high

Maco80 said: Sorry mate what defencesive line do you play low standard or high

If you don't see an instruction on the left side it's always left to default, so in this case - standard defensive line

Create an account or log in to leave a comment