Hertha Berlin - Sticking To A Save

by Pumpkin, May 11, 2023

Welcome to my new FM23 save which I will be posting and updating here. The club I will be managing is Hertha Berlin, a team that has history having won the Bundesliga twice back in 1930 and 1931 over 90 years ago but who currently sit dead bottom of the Bundesliga and I'm looking to change that.

Hertha have a lot of upsides to managing them, first the massive Olympiastadion Berlin stadium that holds over 70k people, the fact they play in the Bundesliga meaning little to no registration rules as well as some of the biggest domestic prize money in the world and on the topic of money Hertha have a foreground sugar daddy so as we do well in the league and hopefully in Europe we will have lots of finances to improve the clubs players and facilities (which are already pretty good with 17 for training, 15 for both youth recruitment and facilities and 14 for junior coaching).

I'm also going to use this thread to help add in useful tips and tricks I've learnt as well as promoting other creators and forum members and their work that I have found useful and implement into my FM saves. The club wants me to make Europa league this season so that will be my aim but this maybe difficult as season preview has us finishing in 9th with odds of 50-1 to win the league.

The first shoutout of the series goes to @ZaZ who I'm sure I will include many more times, as I learnt how to best distribute my managerial attributes from this tweet https://twitter.com/ZaZFM/status/1583352695226003456?cxt=HHwWgMDTkeW4mfkrAAAA where I used to make the mistake of maxing out Fitness due to the importance that Pace and Acceleration have in this game but as he points out GKing and Fitness coaches also train youth and reserve teams, while coaches for Attacking, Defending and Mental are only used on main team. That gives you one extra coach for youth and reserve team as your manager can help with every team within the club.

Now, comes the list of things to do as soon as you start a new career, as described in the link below.
https://fm-arena.com/thread/2643-top-10-to-do-list-when-starting-a-new-save/
Yet again S/O to ZaZ for a great list which I personally use every time I start a new save

Staff Responsibilities- First thing on the list is to choose what I want to be in control of for the save, personally I like to be very hands on therefore I take control of all training, scouting, hiring for every squad/team and I am one of the very few who like to do all media

Training Rest  No pitch or gym work for anyone below excellent condition and double intensity on excellent condition for U18's

Training Calendar I set my training schedule for all three teams for the year, personally I use what I believe to be the most effective schedule based on research completed by Evidence Based FM on YouTube (check him out for some great FM content) and uses the match practice glitch that I learnt from this thread https://fm-arena.com/thread/3638-training-system-bug/ and I put Attacking and Defending either side of match practice for everyday

Staff, Staff Search Hire new staff if needed, especially coaches and physios, to help with this I personally use this filter from Passion4FM which I will attach below

Training, Coaches Edit Coach Assignments and set your coaches to optimize stars and work load.

Schedule, Arrange Friendly Cancel all friendlies the club has already setup then for every Saturday until the first game of the season and host Home games against the biggest clubs possible for the gate receipts until the last week before the first game where you play against the worst team possible to get morale and dynamics up high

Tactics I will be using three tactics based on a 4-3-3 shape first and the base tactic will be 4-3-3 Interim (https://fm-arena.com/thread/5439-433-interim/) then when I want to get slightly more defensive or depending on personal available I will switch to 4-3-3 Interim Inverted (https://fm-arena.com/thread/5515-433-interim-inverted/) and then finally when I really want to see a game out I'll switch to 4-3-3 Structura Bomb-V (https://fm-arena.com/thread/5405-433-structura-bomb-v/)

Squad. Next I asses the squad and find the players who I think can help me in the long haul as well as setting individual training where I train players in their position and role that they will be playing (exception to this is for wing backs and wingers if they have any familiarity on the other side of the pitch I'll try and train them to also play on the other side) and for additional focus I use this 12 week rolling cycle developed by @Mark which focuses on improving key attributes for the position and I'll also attach this below

Scouting, Players Next I set up my shortlists, I create one for every position group so goalkeepers, defenders, midfielders, wingers and attackers as well as wonderkid shortlist just so I can keep track of these players and what clubs are interested in them, as well as two end of contract shortlists where one is for 1st team players and another is for young players who have the potential to grow into great 1st team players

Squad Sell or loan dead weight to lower your wage costs, including youth teams where I sell anyone whos 3 star potential or under. If you have a director of football, you can leave it to him adding the player to the unwanted list. I'll also try and sell anyone whos contract is expiring at the end of the year and is willing to look for other clubs as I believe I can replace them with a better player or someone with more potential than they have for the same price

Passion4FM-backroom-staff-search-filters.fmf
Downloaded : 90 times
Uploaded : May 11, 2023

Quick Little update and another thing I got from ZaZ was his code of conduct (https://twitter.com/ZaZFM/status/1555305311443062787?cxt=HHwWhsC83Zf8xpUrAAAA) which is very fine heavy but the players still have no complaints about so may as well save those extra bits of finances

Good luck on your run!

Bro..really nice start.
Hertha BSC is MY absolute favourite football club (played there for years myself up to the B-Youth) and i´m in my 2nd season @ my savegame.

I will start a 2nd save now with Hertha - using your Setup and will follow your story.
No competition just because its Hertha ♥ :D

good luck, have fun with this Save. I`ll read it until the end.

Ha Ho He - Hertha BSC !

PS: Thanks alot@ZaZ  for his huge amount of help/content for the FM Community. Hälsningar! :thup:

Really interested to see how this save develops! Looks very planned out and have taken the training approach you're utilizing and applying it to my current save.

when will you update the process? it looks so promising I am really looking forward to it.

kimpichmony said: when will you update the process? it looks so promising I am really looking forward to it.

Just caught up with uni exams atm so havent been able to play much but end of next week during uni break I'll make sure to play and update the thread

Create an account or log in to leave a comment