Best Match Engine?

by dubbed5, Jan 25, 2024

Hi guys. I'm a veteran FM player, having played more than 1000 hours with FM2013.

What I really loved is that I could play ANY style I wanted if I had the right players.

I won leagues with mid-level teams using a very solid 4-1-4-1 formation, with counter or defensive mentality, a very deep defensive line, with no pressing. Most of our matches were like 1-0, 0-0, 2-1, etc. We didn't score much but also rarely conceded; even stronger teams struggled against our defense.

I also had success with slow-tempo, short-passing tiki-taka tactics, getting 65-70% average possession.

Then on other saves, I went full attacking with a 4-2-3-1 formation (2 MC, 3 AMC) and scored the most goals in the league, even though we weren't the strongest team.

After 10 years, I came back to FM, and I'm disgusted by FM2024's match engine. Apparently, nothing works except gegenpressing. Tactical instructions don't make any difference. I can't get results with slow-tempo tiki-taka or catenaccio styles even though I have the right players.

I read about FM-Arena in a Reddit post and found it very useful. Your tactical instructions and attribute testings basically verified what I feel after ~150 hours playing FM2024: most of the tactical instructions don't do anything, except for a few like high tempo and pressing. And most player attributes are meaningless, except for the meta attributes. This game is seriously broken.

As I skipped every FM between 13 and 24, what would you guys say, which one has the best match engine? By "best," I mean the one where I could succeed playing any style of tactic I want, not just high tempo gegenpress.

dubbed5 said: Hi guys. I'm a veteran FM player, having played more than 1000 hours with FM2013.

What I really loved is that I could play ANY style I wanted if I had the right players.

I won leagues with mid-level teams using a very solid 4-1-4-1 formation, with counter or defensive mentality, a very deep defensive line, with no pressing. Most of our matches were like 1-0, 0-0, 2-1, etc. We didn't score much but also rarely conceded; even stronger teams struggled against our defense.

I also had success with slow-tempo, short-passing tiki-taka tactics, getting 65-70% average possession.

Then on other saves, I went full attacking with a 4-2-3-1 formation (2 MC, 3 AMC) and scored the most goals in the league, even though we weren't the strongest team.

After 10 years, I came back to FM, and I'm disgusted by FM2024's match engine. Apparently, nothing works except gegenpressing. Tactical instructions don't make any difference. I can't get results with slow-tempo tiki-taka or catenaccio styles even though I have the right players.

I read about FM-Arena in a Reddit post and found it very useful. Your tactical instructions and attribute testings basically verified what I feel after ~150 hours playing FM2024: most of the tactical instructions don't do anything, except for a few like high tempo and pressing. And most player attributes are meaningless, except for the meta attributes. This game is seriously broken.

As I skipped every FM between 13 and 24, what would you guys say, which one has the best match engine? By "best," I mean the one where I could succeed playing any style of tactic I want, not just high tempo gegenpress.

I feel your pain to be honest mate

The match engine is certainly biased towards certain formations and instructions, however I feel this year's is better than perhaps the last 2/3 games. There is such a mix of tactics using differently mentalities and instructions, albeit the tactics are using similar instructions but its good to see that different mentalities are working.

A lot of this game still is having the right players in your shape, acceleration and pace are OP and have been for a few years now. I firmly believe that once you have a team full of physical monsters then you can get away with most playing styles. Obviously some playing styles will out perform others and some playing styles are useless but I have seen successful saves from people using wing play, route one and vertical tika taka.

In terms of best games, the last FM that made me think "this game is brilliant" was FM17

dubbed5 said: Hi guys. I'm a veteran FM player, having played more than 1000 hours with FM2013.

I still rate fm19 the best, but definitely appreciate to added functionality that SI has introduced. Looking forward to the engine changes coming at the end of this year

Thanks for the recommendations. I read other forum topics and polls, and many people say FM17 is really good. Mark, in what areas FM19 is better than FM17?

Scoring goals is fun, but I also really enjoy building a very strong defense.

I still remember my Vitesse save where we won the Eredivisie by scoring just 40 something goals. Our deep 4-1-4-1 was super solid; we conceded about 0.5 goals/game on average. Next season in the Champions League, we were in a group of death with Barca and Man City or UTD. Somehow we finished 2nd.

Sitting deep, absorbing pressure, frustrating the Barca players, then getting a goal by a beautiful counter-attack and winning 1-0 was really satisfying. I felt like I'm Jose Mourinho.

I wanna experience this again.

One of the most shocking things was reading the player attribute testing and realizing "positioning," "tackling," and "marking" are pretty much worthless in the newer games.
In FM13, these and "jumping" were the main attributes I always looked for in defenders.

What about FM17? Can't find any attribute testing for older versions.

One other thing to remember mate is that over the last few years the AI have become more adaptive to your team, more changes in game are made by them etc... the game is evolving year and year. AI is getting better and better each game

What's up guys? I reinstalled FM13 and did a quick test comparing FM13 vs FM24 using defensive tactics, here you go:

I picked the team predicted to finish 10th in the PL, Aston Villa.

I set up a simple, generic 4-1-4-1 defensive tactic:
-Defensive mentality, rigid philosophy
-Deep defensive line, hold position, stand off (no pressing)
-More direct passing, slow tempo, counter attack on

Holidayed until end of the year, ticking on "use current tactic".
The team sat at a decent 7th place:

As you would expect from such a tactic, they had solid, reliable defense.
And they also didn't score much (besides 2 lucky games vs Reading and Q.P.R.).

FM13 felt like a tactical simulator, with balanced tactical styles. It was all logical.
Basically, ANY tactical style worked as long as you had the right players.
You could replicate almost any team's playing style.

I jumped back to FM24, using the same tactic with the 10th predicted PL team, West Ham.

Well, by the time I came back from my 6-month-long Hawaiian vacation, I was already sacked:

Notice zero clean sheets in the PL, often conceding 3-4 goals.

Okay, I decided to start a new save and test one of the official preset tactics.
These were made by SI games; surely they know what they are doing.
I picked the catenaccio, as I loved playing that style in FM13:

Logic would tell us that playing such a compact defensive formation with defensive mentality will result in good defense.
Well, FM24 match engine disagrees:

I was sacked earlier this time.
Look at those results, 0-4, 1-4, 0-4, 0-3. Oh my...

I was curious what happens if I use the mighty gegenpressing tactic:

Surprise, surprise, not only did I still have a job by the end of the year, but West Ham also overachieved:

The funny thing is, even though playing a high tempo, high d-line attacking football as a mid-level team, they had a very solid defense:

Playing on defensive mentality and slow tempo is suicide in FM24.
Basically, sitting back and absorbing pressure doesn't work.
The match engine is seriously unbalanced and flawed.
If you use high tempo, pressing, shorter passing, you will overachieve.
Try anything else, and it's a struggle.

You guys have already demonstrated all of this through the tactical testing, but it's good to compare it to older FMs so everyone can see it wasn't always like this. Ten years of development, and the match engine is more unbalanced than before...

First of all, how can you even compare the things, back then ANYTHING would work, you could break the engine even with a preset tactic. This "defensive thing" you believe was made with logic, it's not.

You believe is gegen, you can even take off counter-press it matter 1-2 points at maximum.

Problem lies on Trigger press, if you reduce it even on 3/4 you gonna suffer like hell. Why? Because you need to compensate with OIs where your boys are gonna apply "pressing" and on which roles. You want a game, put your crap-in aka plugNplay and enjoy your time,not a "simulator".

Explain me, how do you believe back then "pressing how was handled"? "mixed" which means? You don't really know, me either.

- I mean, i did already had a discussion about "pressing", but do you really believe they don't apply pressing while playing? Mourinho,Allegri name whoever you believe play a defensive style.

So, they give up the ball, they don't apply pressing, they only park 11 men? And how do i make my "counter" work at that point? From GK? Because we are busy to pray that KDB didn't shoot from 20 meter free to do that?

I do agree that is literally insane that low block is so bad, but what means bad? to me means -11, in game how is gonna be translated?

"let's take a look, by simulating with West ham", i just did modify a bit the "preset-given",

Every preset from SI is obscene shit, just saying.

Since for me simulation is literally useless it self gonna take your same "test-concept". 20-games proof. (Which is insane, even to believe it, but i will play along)

21 games 31 points with low block much lower system, which is not even that much "obscene" compared to your "gegen-press's theory".

- But, i've used a 4231 system, so it might be a lie since the "shape" is top tier.

Let's build a 4141, but using some "game-logic"

Doesn't really exist, from preset, so we go advanced mode.

I present you Obscene2 :

This time i went even more "spicy", let some direct pass on, because i am curious, didn't want literally cannibalizate the poor "preset".

Seem very fine to me :

Now for the last touch i will even try "defensive", which mean my players will not really run around.

Obscene3:

This time gonna apply some more magic on it :

-Removed focus
-Distribuite Quickly

Unlucky, poor Zouma boy was even injuried... w/e that's a simulation for you :

BOOM?

I mean, so for the global concept of the community this thing would never did anything. If we are lucky this tactic can score 40? 35? EVEN 30? We are more on josh's field here.

Maybe we strike the most lucky RNG wave that only god knows, but at the end of the day this is what make you joy to play? Play it.

You don't need 65 top rate tactic in order to achieve something, you need players. This is what any manager ask for.

I did choose on porpuse "roles" that are not even in-meta at least on FM-Arena. You can play literally the hell you want, but jesus apply some "meta-sense".

You don't need even go to super mega Trigger press much higher if you apply OIs, without them, you literally gonna conced the pitch to the AI. That's why you gonna get walked-on.

Keep in mind if 38 vacation-simulation doesn't mean  anything i won't even know how we believe 21 will do. You are not the first to bring out something like that, that's why i played along with this.

My 2 cookies

do you have any good tactics for FM13?

White Europe said: do you have any good tactics for FM13?

you could try one of these:

3151 Amen

Modern Warfare 442

Delicious:
Sure, if you use the 'Much More Often' pressing and higher tempo instructions, no wonder the results are better. We all know that:

https://fm-arena.com/thread/2864-high-pressing-vs-low-pressing/

https://fm-arena.com/thread/2890-passing-directness-amp-tempo/

Basically, you just made a couple of custom gegenpressing tactics, trying to prove that gegenpressing is not the only way to get good results...
It's about the high pressing and NOT about ticking on or off the 'counter-pressing' button, which does almost nothing:

https://fm-arena.com/thread/2911-counter-press/

A few weeks before, I also conducted many similar tests like yours, for example, taking SI's catenaccio tactic but changing pressing and tempo, and it did okay.

Now I took one of your gegenpressing tactics:

The results by eoy are quite good, as expected:
(not as good as when using a more positive mentality though)

But then I loaded back to the pre-season and changed only two things: lower tempo and pressing.

By the end of November, West Ham was sitting in 18th place, and I knew that sacking was imminent:

'You can play literally the hell you want, but jesus apply some "meta-sense".'

No, we cannot. The game forces us to press like madmen and play higher tempo if we wanna get good results. It's broken and unbalanced. You can get a 3rd division team go full attacking with high pressing against stronger opponents, for the whole 90 minutes (!) which is totally insane.
However, playing defensive or parking the bus with a team that has very good defenders is impossible.

Let's not even talk about how most of the attributes and tactical instructions don't do anything. Sadly, FM is pretty much like FIFA now.

White Europe said: do you have any good tactics for FM13?

Modern Warfare 4-4-2, the one that Mark posted above, was very popular and powerful.

Helenio Herrera's catenaccio:
https://www.fmscout.com/i-541-of-helenio-herrera-for-fm13.html

Arrigo Sacchi's counterpressing 4-4-2:
https://www.fmscout.com/a-fm13-tactic-442-of-arrigo-sacchi.html

I don't remember more as it was a long time ago, and I never used downloaded tactics in my serious saves — only downloaded some to analyze and learn from them.

This article was useful for me when I was doing a tiki-taka style save, it's an attribute testing about passing accuracy:
https://footballmanagerfocus.wordpress.com/2012/12/23/the-pass-masters/

Maybe a dumb question but how can you buy or get fm 13 now just curious, FM big problem is there is 1 way to really win and be strong this has been since forever, but ME feel wise the 24 is the best apart from some bugs.

Yeah, I wish we could buy previous versions on Steam.

I guess our only option is to use shady marketplaces like G2A, where they sell Steam keys.

Create an account or log in to leave a comment